JOB- Legal Counsel, University of Central Asia
Posted by: Dilrabo Jonbekova <firstname.lastname@example.org>
University of Central Asia
The University of Central Asia (UCA) was founded in 2000 by the
governments of Kazakhstan, the Kyrgyz Republic and Tajikistan, and His
Highness the Aga Khan to foster the economic and social development of
Central Asia, especially its vast mountain regions. The International
Treaty and Charter establishing this secular and private University
was signed by the Presidents of Kazakhstan, the Kyrgyz Republic and
Tajikistan, ratified by the respective parliaments, and registered
with the United Nations.
The Legal Counsel will be responsible for the development and
implementation of policies related to UCA's effective functioning. The
legal counsel will also ensure that all matters that may have legal
implications for UCA's establishment, functioning and operations are
addressed in an effective, timely and comprehensive manner, within the
legal framework of the Founding States, as well as the contexts in
which UCA operates.
The Legal Counsel will:
- Be responsible for the protection of UCA's legal and accreditation
status in the Founding States, legal compliance, planning and
operations including contracts and MOUs with its property development
contractors, real estate matters, UCA's institutional policies and
procedures, and agreements with partner universities and AKDN partners.
- Ensure that UCA policies and practices are in compliance with the
International Treaty, local, regional and international agreements
- Ensure that UCA facilities, programmes, intellectual property,
privacy, research and publications are protected under applicable
local and international law as appropriate.
- Oversee the University's legal risk management requirements.
- Provide legal advice and review for all UCA units and operations
(e.g. construction, human resources, finance, government relations).
The ideal candidate will have the following profile:
- An advanced degree in law or other relevant field.
- A minimum of ten years of progressive experience that demonstrates
success in the field of contract law, commercial law, construction
law, with a substantial international or institutional background,
preferably with international organizations or expertise in laws
relating to contracts, commercial transactions, construction,
insurance, procurement, and real estate development, particularly in
an international context.
- Excellent negotiation skills and interpersonal skills to function
autonomously and effectively in a multicultural environment at senior
levels as well as extensive negotiations experience relating to
international transactions, including international financing transactions.
- Experience in formulating and applying legal policy for
international organizations and multi-national projects.
- Outstanding English-language communications skills (written and
oral), including presentation, facilitation and conflict mediation
skills and excellent interpersonal skills to function effectively in
- Proficiency in Russian would be an advantage.
- Cultural and gender sensitivity, flexibility and a
multidisciplinary approach to work effectively with diverse
constituencies at the local, regional and international level.
- Ability to identify and competently manage services procured by UCA
from external counsel.
- Ability and willingness to travel extensively within the Central
Asian Region as well as to Europe, as necessary, to address legal
issues affecting UCA.
The position will be based in Bishkek, Kyrgyz Republic
The deadline for the application is December 31, 2008. For additional
information about this position, UCA and how to apply please visit
www.ucentralasia.org and click on the link for "careers".
Central Asian Faculty Development Programme
University of Central Asia
207 Panfilova Street
Phone: 996-312-691-822, ext. 420
Central-Eurasia-L mailing list