JOB- Executive Director of Educational Center "Bilim Central Asia", Almaty
Posted by: Zifa Auezova <firstname.lastname@example.org>
JOB: Executive Director of Educational Center "Bilim Central Asia"
Almaty, Deadline May 10, 2007
Educational Center "Bilim - Central Asia" in Almaty, Kazakhstan, seeks
a candidate for the position of Executive Director. We welcome
expressions of interest and resumes from individuals committed to
educational reform in Central Asia.
Educational Development Center "Bilim - Central Asia" (Bilim) is a
regional educational NGO for Central Asia, whose mission consists of
promoting public awareness about international tendencies in
educational development, and supporting effective participation of
institutions, scholars, students, professors and teachers from Central
Asia in global academic and educational development. Bilim's
activities are supported by international and local organizations,
such as Open Society Institute, Soros Foundations in Central Asia,
UNESCO, US Department of State, USAID, Central European University,
American University in Bulgaria, and international academic and
Bilim consists of three program departments: Central Asia Resource
Center (CARC), Educational Advising Center (EAC), Educational Policy
Analysis Center (EPAC), and general administrative office.
Bilim seeks an Executive Director to be based in Almaty to provide
overall management to the Center, serving as the main point of contact
and coordination among the relevant programs, and guiding their
development into a coherent, cohesive entity serving educational reform.
The Executive Director will have the following responsibilities:
- Design and direct the development of the Center's local and
- Actively promote linkages and ensure coordination among the program units;
- Oversee the general management and operational aspects of the NGO,
including personnel supervision and training;
- Effectively communicate the Center's program goals and strategies
to education partners in Kazakhstan and Central Asia, international
organizations, donors, and the Bilim Board of Trustees;
- Play the lead role in fundraising for the Center and in negotiating
with and building on the work of other donors in order to achieve the
maximum leverage of existing support;
- With input from the program staff, develop a management structure
for the Center including clear and transparent procedures for
day-to-day operations that will support the staff in their duties;
- Ensure quality and timely implementation of Center's program
activities, including planning and reporting responsibilities
(financial and programmatic);
- Assist in identification of international experts to support
activities of the Center;
- Arrange and attend meetings of the Board of Trustees and assist
staff in preparing reports and presentations to the Board.
For this position Bilim seeks candidates with experience who are
available to live in Almaty for a minimum of 3 years (through May 2010).
- Advanced degree in social sciences, humanities and/or education.
Preference will be given to candidates with graduate training;
- Two or more years experience in managing international staff
and/or education programs;
- Experience with fundraising and/or grant proposal writing;
- General office management experience and skills;
- Interest in developing capacities of staff in the region, using a
supportive approach and mentoring skills;
- Effective communication with people from diverse cultures and backgrounds;
- Cooperative planning and problem solving skills;
- Interpersonal skills and maturity;
- Experience in working with donor organizations and development agencies;
- Ability to travel frequently, mostly within Central Asia;
- Ability to design and deliver convincing presentations of
- Excellent written and oral communication in English;
- Basic level Russian language and/or one of the languages of Central Asia.
Salary is commensurate with experience.
Bilim accepts applications from all qualified candidates, with
preference given to candidates who have experience working on and can
demonstrate an interest in educational reform initiatives in Central
Interested candidates are asked to supply a cover letter, resume,
salary expectations or recent salary history, and writing sample (e.g.
grant proposal, recent report on education issues) to
email@example.com no later than May 10, 2007.
Central-Eurasia-L mailing list